DTDC Express Ltd. is the second largest express distribution company in India in terms of spread and coverage. Their logistic services include business units such as courier and cargo services, e-commerce delivery, e-fulfilment, surface cargo, retail services, international express distribution services and third party logistics. DTDC Express has a presence in more than 500 districts through a large network of 10,500 franchisees that provide last mile connectivity to reach 10,500 PIN code locations. The company handles over 12 million shipments every month, delivering an average of 4 lakh (400,000) parcels every day.
The need for security refresh:
To better defend against sophisticated cyber threats seen in recent years and provide identity-based access to applications, DTDC Express decided to upgrade its existing firewall implementation to segment and control its network. The growing business demanded advanced threat protection capabilities with higher throughput to provide real-time connectivity and support for its end-to-end consignment tracking and tracing of shipments. Its network had more than 15,000 users, so device identification and management were critical to provide access based on the type of device, operating system and the IP address connecting to the network.
Following a thorough evaluation, DTDC Express selected Fortinet over competitors as its cybersecurity provider because of the Fortinet Security Fabric’s ability to deliver comprehensive and collaborative security capabilities across the entire network. DTDC Express deployed multiple FortiGate enterprise firewalls to secure its datacenter and branches to ensure high availability and better user management. The refreshed Fortinet Security Fabric deployment allowed DTDC to secure its network and datacenter with intrusion prevention and detection, content filtering and web filtering, application control and two-factor authentication to protect its web and mobile based tracking applications.
The Fortinet Security Fabric Advantage:
- Reliable, low-latency performance: FortiGate helps reduce latency, while the significantly higher throughput has helped DTDC turn on multiple security technologies like intrusion prevention, intrusion detection, web filtering, content filtering, application control, device identification and management without compromising user and customer experience.
- Network segmentation to protect internal threats: The internal network segmentation firewall helps DTDC Express create consistent policy and enforcement deep in the network, beyond the perimeter, to manage and secure the lateral movement of data and applications.
- Secure branch connectivity: The overseas branches are now securely connected to the main datacenter through an SSL VPN connection, enabling users to access applications while deploying centralized user policies and control.
- Seamless management and improved visibility: Fortinet provides DTDC Express with single- pane-of-glass control of its network infrastructure from one console at the head office. The
FortiAnalyzer centralized logging and reporting appliance provides visibility of all devices and users that connect to the network, easing threat mitigation.
- Fully qualified domain names: FortiGuard Domain Reputation Service provides DTDC Express with a regularly updated list of known, malicious fully qualified domain names. This prevents their DNS servers from reaching known malicious sites, and helps prevent attacks that obfuscate source IPs using hijacked domain names.
- Potential to scale: Thanks to the Fortinet Security Fabric’s scalability, DTDC Express can continue to grow its business and expand operations by securely adding new branches to its network.